Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Good move, lousy timing.

Sometimes I simply cannot believe that this is my life. Not that I'm complaining, necessarily. It's just that sometimes the twists and turns are enough to make me lose my lunch.

Paul is being transferred to an office in Starkville, MS, about 30 minutes away, which is a really good thing for his career. He'll have a lot more autonomy, get away from some difficult personalities in his current office, and it will look great on his resume for future positions. But to effectively cover this new territory, we need to live there. That means we're moving. Again. We have moved 7 times in 7 years, and we only bought and moved into this house 8 months ago.

Now, I know how to move. As I've said, I've done it a lot so I'm very familiar with the experience. But I've never had a baby, then had to move WITH said baby. This is all new ground I'll be covering. I'm less than a month from my due date, and all the work I've done for the baby's room is now moot. And forget nesting - it's all going to be in boxes. Though, I'm not sure exactly how everything is going to GET into boxes, since now I'm too pregnant to pack, and afterward I may not be able to do any lifting for a while. It's a good thing we're plugged into a great church, where our loving friends will come along side us and help us get through this. I don't know how people do things like this by themselves.

We are going to try to be set up in our new town by the end of the year. Our decision is to rent out our home and then rent a place in the new town for the first year. We need to see how this transition goes before going through another real estate transaction.

I think God likes teaching me just how little control I really have in life. I thought I was going to get a good grasp on this concept with the whole birth process, but apparently that was not a big enough teaching opportunity on it's own. "Ok, God, I get it. There is absolutely nothing in life I can control except my reaction to the things you bring into it. This move was Your idea, and therefore, Your problem. Just point me in the right direction."

6 comments:

Eve said...

Congratulations Amanda!!! That is really cool news!
I feel you on the moving thing- we've been flipping houses for 5 years.. I think we're in house #7 right now. My 17 month old daughter is in her 3rd house at the moment. The only change for us in post baby moving is that you must get more help- either friends/family or hire movers. Don't try to do it all yourself.

I hope your pregnancy is as awesome as mine was! :) Thanks for reading!

Martha said...

YIKES girl... WOW! Okay so what can I do to help?? How soon do you plan to actually move? Also.. ummm... renting your house out?? How much! E-mail me about this. Depending on price I could be interested.

Don't worry God will take care of you and your church family is standing on guard ready to be of assistance!

HUGS girl.. I HATE moving too.

Jackie said...

If Rachel hadn't shared this bit of information with me, I'd have been totally floored! Still am, just a bit. I'm happy for Paul about the move, since he's happy about it. BUT MOVING? Oh man, I just hate that! I was looking forward to hanging out with you and your daughter during lunch fairly often.

You have the right attitude, though. Just get lots of help and you'll get through it just fine. It IS lousy timing, BUT you'll be fine. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

rachelle said...

Hi there! Allison directed me to this blog, and I'm so excited to have found it. I've just started browsing, but already feel like I know you.

Just a few tidbits...when my 2nd child was 6 weeks old last fall, our family moved from Oregon to Texas. Now, 9 months later, we're in the middle of a move back to Oregon where I am becoming the Children's pastor at our church. I just found out Friday that I'm pregnant with our 3rd child.

I can't wait to read more, but wanted to say hello. Good luck with everything, I know it's hard and tiring, but it's great that you have such a supportive church family!!

Martha said...

YOU have been TAGGED..........

http://marthahocutt.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that with the guiding hand of Jesus, you and your loved ones can overcome any obstacle. Stay on the path of righteousness and God will reward you! God bless!!