Monday, October 24, 2005

Sobering News

Hearing news of death is never easy. It's a serious subject that is bound to darken the mood of just about anyone. But when death takes someone unexpectedly, it's even worse. I mourn the passing of my friend Rina. We met in college and I believe I was the one who introduced her to her husband Dave. She had 3 children under the age of 5, the youngest only 4 months. She collapsed suddenly from an undiagnosed heart problem that we now know was somehow related to her post-partum status. 5 days later, after being in a coma since her collapse, she moved to Heaven. She was a jewel of a person - calling to check on me several times during my pregnancy and after Jadyn was born. She was warm, caring, fun and friendly, and she will be missed.

Times like these make me think about the actual brevity of life. As the Bible says, it really is like a breath, then it's gone. Sometimes those breaths are too short. I am reminded to count each day as precious, and to take nothing for granted.

God, please hug Rina for me, and tell her I miss her.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

Anonymous said...

what did you friend have? my niece has a post-partum heart condition, too, but i can't think of the name of it

YankeeAmanda said...

As far as I know it was Post-Partum CardioMyopathy. Pretty rare but very serious, from what I hear.