Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Conformity

Today I noticed something interesting as I watched my daughter play. We were outside in the back yard. It's a wide open space, and there are a few trails worn in the dirt from our dog running back and forth along a consistent path.

Jadyn decided to explore a bit, and when I looked up, I saw her following one of these trails rather than blazing her own. It seemed almost instinctive, like going along the predetermined path was not a choice but a necessity. I saw her try to go off the path once, only to return to it within a few steps.

I wondered to myself, "What exactly does this mean? Is she already a conformist? Is she more likely a follower than a leader? Will it be harder for her to think 'outside the box'?"

And then I chilled out and realized that she probably is just brilliant enough to realize that she was able to walk more steadily on the path than on the uneven grass.

Sheesh, sometimes I'm such a freak.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing.

Jemmers said...

Great post!!! I love looking at things from both sides! :)

Anonymous said...

to clarify I was laughing at the line , "Sheesh, sometimes I'm such a freak." And the whole meandering on what it means that she is following the dog's path. It was cute.